Friday, February 7, 2020

Torah Portion Beshelach February 7, 2020


Torah portion Beshelach

Should we be afraid to approach our Father when things are not going well? As we read portion Beshelach, we might begin to wonder. Look how Moshe and Elohim respond to the problems the Children of Israel encounter in the wilderness in our portion.

Justified Concern

There is no food. The seventy souls who entered Mitzrayim with Jacob have grown to an estimated 2 million approximately. Food for such a multitude is a big deal.
 It’s not as though they could find a fruit tree, or two, or a dozen, we are talking a serious quantity of rations to feed everyone.

There is a right way and a wrong way

The people are correct in asking for food, but it is the way they ‘complain,’ that the problem lies.

“And Moses and Aaron said to all the sons of Israel, ‘At evening you shall know that Yehovah has brought you from the land of Egypt; and in the morning you shall see the glory of Yehovah, for He hears your murmurings* against Yehovah. And we, what are we that you murmur** against us?’ And Moses said, ‘When Yehovah gives you flesh to eat in the evening, and bread in the morning, to satisfaction; when Yehovah hears your murmurings* which you are murmuring** against Him, you will see. And what are we? Your murmurings* are not against us, but against Yehovah.’” (Exo 16:6-8)

*telunah - grumbling: - murmuring in the sense of obstinacy
**lun - to be obstinate especially in words, to complain: - abide all night, continue, dwell, endure, grudge, be left, lie all night.

The wrong way

Lun is the root of telunah. This is not asking for food, it’s not even just complaining there is no food, there is more to it. The sense in the Hebrew is that they are obstinate, like a child who digs in her heels and says, “I’m not going anywhere until you give me what I want.”

The right way

Look at the contrast between their attitude and that of Moshe, Job, Peter, and Paul;

“And Moses returned to Yehovah and said, ‘Lord, why have You done evil to this people? Why then have You sent me? And since I came in to Pharaoh to speak in Your name, he has done evil to this people. And You did not certainly deliver your people.’” (Exo 5:22-23)

 For I know my redeemer lives, and he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.(Job 19:25-27)

“Peter said to Him, ‘Even if it were necessary for me to die with You, I will not deny You, never!’ And all the disciples said the same.” (Mat 26:35)

“Not that I speak as to need, for I have learned to be content in whatever state I am. And I know to be humbled, and I know to abound; in everything, and in all things, I am taught both to be filled and to hunger, both to abound, and to lack.” (Php 4:11-12)

Remembering our place

Moshe complained, but he wasn’t obstinate. In this, we can learn how it is acceptable to take our complaints to Elohim; in fear, anger, or frustration, but not obstinately. Father knows we get mad sometimes, even at Him, Paul even says, “Be angry but don’t sin.” Eph 4:26. We need to remember even in times of frustration who we are and who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and insights you have gained from the portion.